Tuesday, May 01, 2007

Happy May Day

No, I honestly do not celebrate May Day or International Workers Day as some would call it, but it seems apt that MAYDAY is what a number of unions are calling for as their membership declines. Growing up the son of a white collar automotive engineer I certainly have a somewhat jaded perspective on the UAW and unions in general. While I understand the historical roots behind unions and why they were necessary at the time I think that they need to move beyond their historical mode of operation to something more applicable in the modern world. The continuing expectation that you can make $25+ per hour plus benefits working a line job doing the same thing every day without a high school diploma is nuts. Same also on many teachers unions who reject the idea that raises should be tied to student achievement or that seniority is not the only item of relevance in promoting teachers and spend their money campaigning in political elections. As a government entity the education system has no business advocating one candidate or another.

Enough on unions, how about them Lions? Wide Receiver number 4, big surprise. Funny that I was at camp and a cohort with a smartphone only had to shout over "When are you firing Millen?" for me to know that they drafted Calvin Johnson in the first round. Admittedly he is an outstanding athlete, but what good is a great WR without a Quarterback that can get the ball to him with an offensive line that can give the QB time to throw at all. Barry Sanders was an outstanding Running Back, but that still didn't get the Lions anywhere. The rest of the picks were okay although more offensive line would have helped and Drew Stanton is an interesting question mark especially with his past injury record. If there was a real o-line that wouldn't be an issue, but... I still have faith that they'll win at least one game. They are playing Green Bay on Thanksgiving so I can pray for victory that day.

Not much exciting is happening here beyond the occasional rant that I don't get time to write up for posting. Lots of work as usual. Evening meetings, expectations that I can miraculously recruit many new parents for leaders from folks I don't know, quality time at camp (always a plus) and a random trip to the outlet mall on the state line. I'll post again soon.

Until then, don't do anything I wouldn't do and if you do name it after me (thanks, Matt).

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home