Friday, March 24, 2006

Sentimental Like a Rock...

"You're about as sentimental as a rock..."

That was how my district commissioner described me today. I laughed when he said that. It's actually pretty apt. We were talking about another tradition that doesn't serve the interests of those it is stated to serve. I, of course, vetoed the idea as presented, which is probably why whoever commented on the idea to our commissioner didn't talk to me about it.

The statement is more true the more I think about it. I like recognition, sure, but if I am going to be recognized I want it to be for something noteworthy, not what I am supposed to do. Once I've been recognized, that's great time to move on. Conferences are another thing. I have never understood the tear-filled goodbyes after a week-long conference. Sure, I've met some good people at conferences, but not enough to warrant any deep emotion at the end. I will admit to having a few (2) friends that I have kept in touch with out of numerous conferences I've been through.

The only time I am sentimental is when I have had something or been a part of something for a long time. Things like my cars, Chippewa Lodge, the engineering office at Oakland, trips with friends, etc. (No, those are not in any particular order.) To each their own, I suppose.

One short note, I got my replacement printer today. It's a newer, nicer model than the one that died oddly enough. The only downside is that the ink cartridges are different than those of the printer it replaces. My old standby is moving to the living room with my laptop since it has ink, I might as well use it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home