Tuesday, May 15, 2007

Define "Success"

I'm not going to write the textbook definition of success since it really doesn't play into the following commentary. I want to know when we as Americans began to define success as too much of something. Too much time away from family, too much unnecessary consumer goods, too much fast food, too many activities for our kids, too much money in some places, too much government. Too much of way too much.

I ask the question as I look at my own schedule and see not enough time not working and see the same thing expected of every other "successful" person I know. Take Larry for example. Larry is a VP in Global Operations at a large local manufacturing firm. He likes his job, but it keeps him overseas over 80% of the time so he doesn't get to spend time with his family much and cannot commit to volunteer doing the things he wants to do. This is repeated in every major firm I work with. Do I notice more because it affects my ability to do my job, yes, probably, but it is still a major issue.

Lots of books have been written, speeches given and trainings taught about balancing work and life but it doesn't seem that anyone is paying attention. Those that try seem to forget that balance also needs to exist for their kids. How does keeping your kid busy every weekday evening and Saturdays doing 3 different sports and other activities benefit the kid? With the hundreds of thousands of youth in sports programs there is very little likelihood that they are going to go anywhere with the sport. I recognize the need for fitness, but time spent with friends outside will do that too. Parents end up stressing themselves out too as they can't keep up with the schedule that they set for their kids and their intense work schedule.

This is the definition of insanity. No wonder we have issues with stress and poor health. The hardest part of it is that it has become a cultural challenge that no one pays attention to or looks to solve. Look at other issues from gas prices to the cost of housing, if we used just a little less it would have a much greater impact in the cost to the consumer.

Now I have to be my own worst enemy and work more.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home