Monday, August 14, 2006

Coping Saws Can Bite

I decided to start making a new Pinewood Derby car for myself this weekend. That's a lot more work than I recall. It could just be that I am more of a perfectionist now than I was or that Dad did more work than I paid attention to. Since when does cutting with a coping saw take skill or effort? Given my challenges with using it this weekend I can't figure out how I did it at 7 years old. I did, as the title implies, nick myself with the blade; nothing deep or painful but blood was drawn. I wasn't too worried since I got a tetnaus shot two years ago with the whole auto-glass-in-finger-for-three-days incident. Now I am in the fine shaping and sanding process which also is a lot of work. I think I will just spray bomb it for the paint job, but I'll tackle that when I get there.

The weather has been gorgeous here with a lot of sunshine and comfortable temperatures. It's really hard to work from home when the weather is this nice, but it is easier since I can change into shorts after my last appointment and work comfortably. I did manage to get a bit of a burn on Saturday and Sunday between a midday football game and a long walk at the beach. In reverse order, the dead fish are finally gone at the beach and the lake water is almost warm now. Walking in the water was actually refreshing not shocking. The football game was Brian's second and out in Oshkosh at the UW-Oshkosh field house. Oddly, the field did not have home and away seating, just one big set of stands. They lost again, due entirely to turnovers courtesy of two interceptions and a couple of fumbles. Otherwise they outplayed the other team. I can't make this weekend's game as I will be at camp, but I do enjoy going.

The Lions actually won a game, albeit exhibition. I would like to see the Lions play this year. I have hopes that they can go 8-8, maybe better. Tickets go on sale on the 23rd so I will see what's out there and maybe get tickets. Several folks around here are looking to see if they can get tickets when they play at Lambeau in December. Brian is getting Sunday Ticket so I will be able to watch the games there (as long as the Cowboys don't play at the same time....) as opposed to the bar.

The only other thing of note for the last few days was another round of pasty making. This time I tried using homemade dough using a recipe from Good Eats. That's a lot of work. It tasted a lot better than the store-bought pie crust I've been using. My goal now is to refine the filling. Ground chuck cut 50/50 with ground buffalo gives good flavor, red potatoes, carrots, green apple and vidalia onion make up the other components. My challenge is in sizing the pieces. I've been chopping everything by hand which is a lot of work, I may try shredding next time. Ideally a food processor would do the trick, but I haven't seen purchasing one as a priority. I have a month or so before I make more so maybe I'll change my mind.

I'll post again later this week after I go on my VIP refueling flight with my district chairman's ANG unit. That should be a lot of fun.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home