Wednesday, July 05, 2006

On Vacation

FYI: Parking tickets are cheaper than parking garages in D.C. After some debate, I chose to park without a permit in Tim's neighborhood rather than seek a parking garage. I got a decent spot a block and a half away in a safe spot, but easy to reach for the parking gestapo. Thus far I have accumulated 1 ticket at $30.00. The cheapest parking in the area is at the airport (40 minutes with one train change away by Metro) at $9.00 a day ($45.00) minimum for my stay here and it was much more expensive from there. Assuming I beat the gestapo to my car in the morning, I'll save 50% off of the minimum cost for actually paying for parking. Yes, I will pay the tickets.

As noted previously, I am in DC again for my second trip this year. I entered town on Sunday after an exciting 14-hour (over two days) trek across the Indiana, Ohio and Pennsylvania Turnpikes. Whoppee! Short of the half-hour I spent seeking a decent parking spot, the trip was uneventful. Julie and Sean arrived the day before I did by plane (the way to get here...unless there are other stops on the way). I led the whirlwind tour of the highlights on Monday including Arlington Cemetary (has a new monument to the Shuttle disasters), Museum of American History (President exhibit and Muppets display cases), Museum of Natural History (she wanted to see the Hope Diamond...so did many other women...much jostling occured), and paying homage to Teddy on his island. Tuesday was a bit more subdued with a lot of walking, watching a bit of the parade and ending with the fireworks and a nice night stroll around the monuments (the best way to see them). Today I got them on the train to the airport and visited a good used book store and the American Art Museum and National Portrait Gallery which are in the same building and have some great pieces. I'll post pictures from the visit after I get home.

Tomorrow I am heading out to Shennandoah National Park for two nights followed by New River Gorge and then on to MI from Monday night through Saturday afternoon. So for you Michiganders who read this, I'll be in town with car next week expect a call seeking a time to visit.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home