Monday, June 26, 2006

A Day at the Races and other tales

Day Cramp has once again come and gone. As supreme dictator for it this year (holding all 3 leadership positions) I spent a lot of time on it, but it worked out well in the end. Last year we had 80 kids participate between two camps. This year we had 240 or so kids participate in one camp. The camp was also nice because it was just one day, not three and the weather was a perfect sunny and 70 degrees.

The key difference besides being shorter was that it was held at Road America, a 4-mile race track here in Sheboygan County during their June Sprints weekend which attracted about 400 racers. The kids did the usual BB guns, archery and craft, but also got to visit the Winner's Circle, Race Control and Paddock area (this is where the race teams set up shop) and get in the cars, check out the engines and talk to the drivers. Happily it turned out well, but only by luck. We were severely short staffed with only 11 staff out of an ideal 30 or more staff. By the time camp finished on Friday I went home and slept a solid 12 hours.

We'll be repeating the event again next year and possibly expanding it. We might also be partnering with Camp Jeep when it comes here in August to do some outdoor demos on cooking, camping and the like.

With camp done we're in the final June 30 membership and money push. Yea. I'm looking forward to that being done.

The upside is that I leave on my annual road trip on Saturday bound for DC and Virginia. Hopefully the flooding in DC has subsided some by Sunday when I get there otherwise that could be interesting.

I also made positive movement in getting a loan through my bank to pay off two of my credit cards and close them before I got in a bad spot. Without going into details I am a much better steward of other people's money than my own. Thankfully my banker friends were able to help me out and put me on a road to being better behaved.

Anyways, I'll post my next issue for debate before departing on my journey.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home