Saturday, October 06, 2007

Paying for a Long September

It was a long September that seems like a blur as it rapidly fades from memory. It was my 6th September working for the Boy Scouts and felt just as long as every other one prior. The upside however is that we ended with a big win being ahead on the membership side of the house for the first time in my tenure here setting us up to be successful by year end.

The downside is that I took the hit in health. For the first time since joining the BSA, the Crohn's Disease seems to be flaring up along with some sort of strain or rip in an abdominal muscle that I have no clue how I did. I've been limping by for the past week which truly annoys me as I hate to be sidelined by my health. Of the fun events of the week with my health, a high point was the ER where I got a CAT scan for the first time which was interesting and then returned to the same hospital for an IV med the next day. If that wasn't enough, I got to spend the 3rd day having our staff meeting in a different hospital's conference room. The other high point is that the doc decided to put me on prednisone, a steroid, to put the Crohn's back in its place. I hate the stuff, especially the fun side effects which include me being much more irritable than normal (or just not as good at hiding it). 40 days of that and we'll see what the doc says. In the interim this muscle thing is annoying as well.

I wasn't the only casualty either, Brian was down for part of the week with the flu and has a season-ending injury in tearing his right ACL. The joke by Wednesday was that we were hanging a big "Out of Order" sign on our district for the moment. Our volunteers will love lifting since neither of us are doing much of that for a while.

On a more positive note, I did get to have some fun in September, even if it was all with Scouts. I went out to a camp in NW Wisconsin for an OA event that I had no responsibility whatsoever at. Fun, but the low was 23 degrees that weekend which is too darn cold for September. I also got to MC an Eagle Court of Honor for one of my adopted brothers who also happens to share my birthday. It was really long (1:45), but I was honored to be asked and I was told it was a good show. He also had the largest "shrine" that I've seen--ever.

That's enough for now. GO LIONS!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home