Wednesday, October 05, 2005

Musings

I was going to do several smaller posts but decided not to so this might be a bit long.

Curtains:

I got my curtains installed in my room. It actually took getting used to falling asleep in an almost pitch black room. The rest of the apartment is still not very dim due to the parking lot light. The only downside is that the breeze is limited by the curtains. Oh well.

Football:

So I got to watch both the MSU/UM game this weekend and the Lions and was disappointed with both.

First MSU/UM. I thought that MSU might actually win all the way through despite Michigan's strong start. The two missed field goals were a shame. My favorite play though was to see a 6'3", 320+lbs defensive lineman get the ball and lumber it back 60+ yards for a touchdown complete with hurdling a Michigan player at the goal line. I wonder if it was the first touchdown scored by a guy from the American Samoa. Amazing. That guy deserves kudos.

Then there was the Lions game. I can't give up on them and I honestly thought they might win. The defense looked good most of the game until Tampa Bay opened up the passing game. Then there was that last set of plays where Pollard scored until a bad call by the replay booth reversed it. Had the game been in Detroit the ref would have needed armor leaving the stadium. The article on Monday in the Detroit News ("The City of Chumps") was funny and true even if it was a little harsh on the Lions and Tigers.

This whole football pool thing is almost depressing. I'm sure that folks say there is a system to it, but this season seems to be full of surprises. At least that gives me a fighting chance. Oh well, as long as Green Bay keeps losing I will be able to tolerate the fans here.

The obsession has a dark side. Cardboard Farve standees promoting drinking milk are in almost every school cafeteria here--its really creepy. Last week at a round-up I had to keep a group of Webelos from destroying one. They were beating on it telling it how much the team sucks and Farve sucks and how the team darn well better start winning. It was actually kind of funny. Sadly though, these kids were awful young to care that much.

Changing Seasons:

I do love fall. It is just on the cusp of being in full color here despite the unseasonably warm temperatures. My guess is that it will be in full glory by Sunday. When I was driving today (150 miles of rolling farmland and forest with several rivers running through it) it shows potential to be some of the most beautiful fall driving that I have been able to see. I walked outside last week and the smell reminded me that I should be camping. It was that smell of slightly damp leaves with a cool breeze and the underlying crispness of the season. It was funny just how suddenly the thought of camping popped into my head when I caught the scent.

I will be camping this weekend at our camporee. The weather looks great: mid 50's daytime and low 30's to sleep and minimal chance of rain. Camporees are much more fun when you don't have to do anything but be there to solve problems. My plan is to wander around taking pictures and talking to folks.

Hopefully the weather holds for going up to visit the family farm in two weeks.

Honesty:

As I mentioned previously, my district is in a deep hole with membership and units. My automatic reaction (courtesy of Kevin) is to come up with easy, if not ethical, answers and then have my bosses act on them (not Eric). Here though, my bosses don't want anything but solid programs or at least real partnerships. It's a good feeeling, but I still don't quite believe it I keep waiting for them to change their mind.

The other part lately has been that the units and volunteers are finally starting to trust me and my judgment. The true test of this will be in the next few weeks as we develop and propose the district calendar and plan for next year. As opposed to the committee making all of the calls on it, we are taking our message to the people ala Teddy Roosevelt or Harry Truman. We will be holding several "fireside chats" hosted by our chairman, commissioner and Brian and I to give the units the opportunity for feedback on both the calendar and anything else they want. It should be interesting if we can get the attendance which I think is possible simply by being new.

It is this part of being a Director that is fun: having the authority to lead what I see needing to be done and getting support for it even when it is not something from the book or something that we have done before. Too bad that most of them generate more meetings for me to go to even if good comes out of them in the end.

Enough for now.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home